Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Just when I think I'm independent....


So Dave is out of town on "business" for a couple of weeks. As most of you know during the summer Dave is usually gone A LOT, doing the job that I'm not allowed to talk about on the blog. Usually I can handle myself and take care of most things. Well this time he's been gone it feels like I am lacking in the independent department. It hit me today as I was trying to mow the lawn, this is really Dave's department. Little did I know even 6 months ago that Dave was a grass nazi. He has fertilized and watered our new law to the point that it is a thick forest that grows approximately 10 inches per day (or so it seems). Then according to him, you have to mow it two different directions to make it even throughout... hmm and I just thought you made it all look semi-even. Mowing the lawn is not my favorite chore, never has been. So after letting the forest grow for almost two weeks I decided today was the day to tackle it. Note to self....don't let it go that long again, especially when Dave is out of town! First off the mower made this awful noise, cut the grass crooked and refused to idle and then the grass clippings wouldn't go into the bag, they just made a huge sloppy mess on the lawn. After some phone calls and texts to my dad and a good friend, and a decompaction of the mower, I (we) determined that the grass was just too long and thick for the current blade height. I learned today that you don't adjust the blade, you adjust the wheel height. Technical I know! After some experimenting I finally adjusted the wheels and was sort of good to go. The lawn was still too thick and long even for the heighest setting so I had to go really slow, BUT its done! Next on the list, the weed eater, I hate this machine, whoever invented engines that start with a draw string and not a push button or key should be shot! I was excited however, I got it started on the 3rd pull (lucky for it). Then I went to push the throttle and the whole cutter head flew off and across the lawn, seriously! At that point I was done! I turned it off, threw it in the garage and called the lawn done, at least till Dave gets home on Saturday! So thanks to Dave for doing the lawn (when he's home) its one job that I do not adore. Oh and Dave is leaving again for the whole month of September, anyone interested in making a few extra dollars mowing a lawn???

6 Comments:

At August 19, 2009 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Sissy Jackson said...

You make me laugh. Im kinda wishing that I was next door to watch and laugh. I LOVE YA!

 
At August 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

I am with Sis! Sorry I missed the show! I am happy to mow while Dave is gone, I love to mow! Sorry it was rough on you.

 
At August 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Blogger The Crookstons said...

You are so fuuny!!! I am glad that I don't have a lawn to mow right now and when we do i am giving Aaron that job. We will for sure be coming to visit you when Dave is gone. It was good to talk to you too.

 
At August 19, 2009 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Texas Birds said...

I'm so there- will the lawn cutting payment cover my flight! I miss ya girl! but I wish I could have seen and heard you- just thinkin' about what you might have said makes me giggle.

love ya!

 
At August 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM , Blogger Magoo said...

Margo - I am LAUGHING OUT LOUD as I read your post! Thank goodness for your Dad, and all of his fatherly advice. If I were closer, I would mow for you. Im kinda the grass nazi at my house. Yes, switching the direction everytime you mow! I love that you make me smile! thanks for the good laugh---and good luck with the next mowing :)

 
At September 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Stephers said...

So glad we have your blog address. This was a funny story about the lawn mowing :) We will totally help next time... I PROMISE :) You can always walk across the street and ask ANYTHING. Thanks for coming to dinner tonight, it was lots of fun. Can't wait to do it again!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home